When Should you Get Replacement Windows in Richmond VA
Deciding when to replace your windows is easy when you know what to look for. Check out our tips on when you should get replacement windows in Richmond VA.
Believe it or not, window replacement is an over $3 billion industry. The reason? Because, especially if you bought cheap windows, you need to replace your windows more frequently than you might think.
In this post, we’re going to tell you everything you need to know about when it’s time to get your windows in Richmond – and everywhere else! – replaced.
We’ll tell you the signs it’s time for a change, tips on how to find the best service for when it’s time to install new windows in Richmond, and how to make a change for the better.
Signs Of The Times
Though industry standard states that you’ll need to get your windows in Richmond and elsewhere replaced every 15-20 years, certain factors might force you to get a replacement sooner.
Keep in mind that even if you’ve had your house for just a few years, the windows have likely been around for much longer. If you can, before you buy a home, make sure you know when the last time the windows were installed.
Other Signs It’s Time To Install New Windows In Richmond
It’s not just the year-mark that can tell you it’s time to upgrade your windows. Also look out for…
- Warped or Cracked Windows: Before you panic, know that sometimes, repairing slightly damaged windows is possible. You may just need to weatherstrip your windows, or switch out the hardware. Still, if the window is heavily damaged, it’s better to just replace the pane or the whole window. If your windows get stuck or have trouble closing, or if they fog up too quickly, you likely need to get new ones installed.
- A High Energy Bill: Sure, in the wintertime, windows can make sure some much-needed sunlight gets into your home. But if your windows in Richmond are too drafty, your energy bill has probably gone through the roof. Old windows can actually increase your energy bills by as much as 25%!
- You Hate The Way Your Room Looks: Yes, a change in design is a perfectly valid reason you may find yourself needing new windows! Whether you want to change the look of your house from the inside or the outside, windows can make a dramatic difference in the appearance of your home. Don’t forget to switch up your hardware and window treatments to make sure everything matches.
- A Storm Scared You Straight: Even if no damage came to your home, getting hit by severe weather can certainly make you think twice about the strength of your windows. Or, you may have sustained severe damage to your windows, and are now looking into investing in stronger options for the future.
- You’re At Work On A Restoration Project: History is everywhere, but it’s especially alive in Virginia. Whether you live here full-time or are thinking of moving here, you likely know about our numerous historic homes. If you’ve been asked to help restore an old home, or if you’ve bought one for yourself, you need windows that will stand the test of time – but look like they came from the past. New windows can help you to get the best of both worlds.
Now that we’ve looked at some of the most common causes for replacing your windows in Richmond, let’s talk about some more possible reasons and benefits of doing so.
Why Now Is The Time To Replace Your Home Windows
Let’s face it: things have changed in both the design world of windows, as well as in their efficiency. As we discussed briefly, new windows can give you access to these advancements.
You’ll be able to cut down on the cost of future repairs because you’ll have upgraded to higher quality glass and frames.
You may also want to redo your windows in Richmond for…
- Safety Reasons: It’s an unfortunate reason to have to switch up your windows, but it’s a reason that cannot be ignored. If you feel that your current windows make you more susceptible to thieves, change them now. Remember that the glass strength isn’t the only thing that matters here. How large your windows are, and how you cover your interior with treatments, can affect how much of the interior of your home – and the valuables inside – thieves can see.
- To Add Value To A Home You Want To Sell: If you go with an energy efficient design, the potential for a lowered energy bill every month is a great incentive to buyers. But also, the look of new windows can be a wonderful selling point. Finally, buyers like to know that they won’t have to turn around and replace the windows in their new home a year after buying.
- You’ve Got Kids: Children are wonderful. However, if your child just joined a Little League team, they may not have the best batting average in the world just yet. In the meantime, updating your windows may be the best idea if the kids are practicing in the yard. Consider making the switch to a stronger type of glass, but be aware that even then, windows may still crack.
What’s The Cost of Replacement Windows?
While we certainly wish we could give you an exact number or price range for all window replacements, the size, style, and previous damage will all influence the price tag.
Generally though, you end up saving some costs, if you’re replacing a window as opposed to installing an entirely new one.
Ready To Get Started On Installing New Windows In Richmond?
Now that you’ve learned all about when and why people tend to get their windows replaced, we’re willing to bet you’re ready to get started on your own project.
That’s where we come in.
Contact us to get a free estimate, so you’ll know what to expect before you say yes to the job. We’re all about transparency when it comes to pricing – no surprises!
We’ll also talk with you about the timeline of the job, and work with you to make sure you’re getting the best type of window for both your budget and the design of your home.