How Much Does a New Roof Cost in Virginia Beach, VA?
If you think you might need a new roof, you’ve probably wondered “How much does a new roof cost?” We’re here to help you prepare for how much it can cost.
Are you a homeowner?
If you are, chances are you’ve probably already made a few home repairs by now, and may even need a Virginia Beach Roofer.
Some of the repairs may have been expensive.
Now you’re noticing that your roof is beginning to show signs of wear and tear.
You’re also probably wondering, “how much does a new roof cost?”
Turns out there are quite a few factors that go into determining how much a new roof will cost.
Let’s look into them:
How Do I Determine How Much A New Roof Will Cost in Virginia Beach?
How much does a new roof cost? The average homeowner in Virginia Beach will pay between $6,761 and $13,314 for a new roof.
Here is what a roofing company will factor in to determine how much a new roof will cost.
- Size of Roof
- Slope of Roof (Pitch)
- Materials Used
- Type of Application (how it’s installed)
- Number of Layers
- Geographical Location
- Code Requirements
- Additional Obstacles (such as skylights, chimneys, etc. that will need to be addressed)
When starting any project, it’s smart to first determine whether or not you need an entirely new roof or just repairs.
Often minor repairs are easy to fix.
Here are some minor repairs that won’t force you to wonder how much a new roof will cost.
- Loose or Missing Shingles: Keep a few on hand for when one gets loose. You can do this repair yourself.
- Dripping Ceiling: No need for expensive repairs as long as there’s no mold and your timbers aren’t breaking or warping.
- Sagging Gutters: Keep them free from debris or have professionals replace them.
- Damaged Soffits: The damage caused by weather can create holes that attract bugs who infest your home. Call an exterminator if that happens.
- Flashing: Weather can cause problems around the chimney. Have this regularly inspected to save money.
But you’ve done your homework and you definitely know it’s time to learn how much a new roof will cost.
Size Will Determine How Much a New Roof Costs in Virginia Beach
Size is a huge factor when it comes to learning how much a new roof costs.
While the average size of a family in Virginia Beach has shrunk from 3.67 in 1940 to 2.62 in 2002.
Yet the size of our homes in has more than doubled in size from 1,100 square feet in 1940 to 2,340 in 2002.
When a professional roofing company comes in to determine how much a new roof will cost, they will base it on square footage.
They then take your square footage and divide it by 100. This will give them what is known as a “roofing square”.
One roofing square equals 100 square feet. This is done because most roofing materials are sold by the square rather than the square foot.
Pitch Will Determine How Much a New Roof Will Cost
How much your roof slopes or slants will greatly determine how much a new roof will cost.
The price all has to do with safety. A roof that is greatly slanted will mean harnesses and other safety equipment needed to keep the workers safe.
Your roof’s fire rating and roof height will also be factors in figuring out how much a new roof costs.
There are 3 ways to determine the pitch:
- Measure slope from the rafters
- Measure slope from the roof surface
- Calculate pitch from slope
There are also different roofing materials that are used depending upon the pitch of your roof.
Type of Roof and Number of Layers Effect The Cost
Removing the old layers of roofing shingles can be a huge factor when figuring out how much a new roof will cost.
You need to know:
- How long will it take to pull up the layers (depends on how many layers are already there)
- How much will it cost to dispose of the old layers (this will be determined by weight)
While this may seem like an easy task, it can be a lot more complicated of a process than it seems.
Here is the process any decent roofing company will take when removing your old roofing materials.
- Safe removal of shingles
- Pry shingles up in sections
- Watch out for hazards
- Contain debris
- Prevent any damage of the roof flashing
- Remove excess nails
- Inspect roof for any damage
- Protect roof while working
- Clean any debris or mess
A professional team will know what steps to take, what damage to look for and how to handle it all safely.
The Price of Roofing Materials in Virginia Beach
When selecting roofing materials there are several factors that will affect cost:
The pitch of your roof will also affect your choices as well as determine how much a new roof will cost.
Roofing System Components
While it would be great if all your roof needed were some new shingles and then you were done.
Fortunately, in order to make a new roof worthy of your time and money, there is much more to a secure roof than just excellent waterproofing.
If you want the job done right, you want to make sure the best quality is chosen in all materials used.
Choosing quality products the first time will ensure your roof will keep you warm, safe and dry for a long time:
- Type of underlayment and decking materials used
- Type of ventilation and insulation installed
- Types of fasteners and other materials installed
These will all vary in price depending upon the different levels of performance, manufacturing costs and longevity of each product.
After having all that work put into a new roof, you want to ensure it’s going to last.
That’s where a warranty will come into play when determining how much a new roof will cost.
Typically, there are 2 types of warranties:
- A standard warranty is only backed by the roofing company and will only back the labor and workmanship of the project.
- An extended or NDL (no dollar limit) warranty is backed by the manufacturer. This type of warranty will also include extra steps, materials and inspections and an additional fee to back up the work of the roofing professionals.
While the extended warranty does sound great, most roofing problems arise due to poor workmanship, not poorly made materials. Make sure you work with a reputable company who will stand by their work for years to come.
Make sure you work with a reputable company who will stand by their work for years to come.
How much does a roof cost? When you’re going it alone, it can cost you a lot. That’s why there are professionals to save you time and money. Paramount Builders proudly offers financing on roofs in Virginia Beach to help you protect your home.
Contact our experts today for a free estimate.